We are now searching for a Country Director in Germany. Germany is Malengo’s first destination country;
Malengo sent 7 students to Germany in 2021, and we project up to 20 in 2022, and at least 100 in 2023. Your primary responsibility will be building the Germany program in all respects; you will be both the main representative of the Malengo program in Germany, and its most important driver.
Country Director, Germany
Malengo is a non-profit organization (US: 501(c)(3); Germany: gGmbH) that facilitates international educational migration. We provide mentoring and financial support to students from low-income countries who want to complete a Bachelor’s degree in a high-income country. We aim to give millions of students the opportunity to pursue the education they want, and to lift themselves and their families out of poverty in the process. We believe that this is one of the most effective poverty reduction strategies in per-dollar terms that is available.
Malengo currently recruits low-income, high-ability students in Uganda, and supports them in applying for and completing a Bachelor’s degree in Germany. By 2030, we aim to support students from most low-income and lower-middle income countries, and facilitate undergraduate studies in more than a dozen destination countries. Our program is sustainable by combining a strong network of volunteer mentors with a financial model in which students support future generations of scholars once they have a high enough income (income share agreements, ISAs).
We are now searching for a Country Director in Germany. Germany is Malengo’s first destination country; Malengo sent 7 students to Germany in 2021, and we project up to 20 in 2022, and at least 100 in 2023. Your primary responsibility will be building the Germany program in all respects; you will be both the main representative of the Malengo program in Germany, and its most important driver.
- Conceptual and strategic development of Malengo’s Germany program, in collaboration with central leadership (and, in the future, other country directors) which includes:
Conceptualization, strategy development, and coordination of the entire Malengo student journey in Germany, which includes but is not limited to the visa application process, housing, the mentorship model, academic needs and interim and long-term jobs.
- Development and execution of employer strategy for students who stay in Germany, including proactively identifying potential employers for students in relevant areas of interests and expertise and setting students up for success with relevant training (resume-building, drafting motivation letters, interview techniques etc.)
- Engagement with and representation of Malengo vis-à-vis local and national partners, including universities, employers, and government in Germany and potentially other European countries as the program grows beyond Germany.
- Identifying talent needs, hiring, leading, and inspiring Malengo’s team in Germany
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the income share agreements (ISAs), both at a legal and regulatory level (in collaboration with Malengo’s lawyers), and at the level of the specific financial processes that underlie the ISAs. This may include identifying partnerships or setting up an internal strategy for enforcement of payment.
- Maintaining and developing donor and investor relations and soliciting funding through networking and proposals
- Developing and overseeing the network of volunteer mentors who support students during their university journey in Germany, and determining what aspects of the mentor model need to be centralized and overseen by dedicated Malengo Germany staff
- Developing and overseeing Malengo Germany’s marketing and social media strategy
- Liaising and coordinating with the academic teams that conduct rigorous quantitative research on Malengo’s programs
- Coordinating the development and maintenance of robust business processes and systems for Malengo Germany, including bookkeeping, HR, and IT
We seek a highly driven, entrepreneurial, and versatile leader who will grow Malengo’s Germany program from a fledgling project into a large-scale, high-quality operation that serves thousands of students each year. You might be the ideal candidate if you recognize yourself in these descriptions:
About the candidate
- You are inspired by Malengo’s mission and want to create opportunities for thousands of students from low-income countries
- You have a strong entrepreneurial drive and want to build and develop an organization from the ground up
- You have a strong leadership personality and can create, inspire, and lead Malengo’s Germany team with dedication, intelligence, and kindness
- You are collaborative and collegial and excited to work with the Malengo Germany team and central Malengo leadership (and in the future, other country directors)
- You enjoy interacting with students and have a service mentality towards them
- You are highly socially skilled and can develop and maintain relationships with university partners, governments, and funders
- You have outstanding writing skills and are equally at home writing blog posts, grant proposals, and funding pitches.
- You are solution-oriented and have a continuous improvement mentality, both about yourself and the organization.
- You speak native or near-native German, AND native or near-native English. French fluency is highly desirable.
- You have a strong commitment to evidence and organizational learning
- You are quantitatively minded and interested in continually assessing organizational performance
- You have a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in any subject
- You are willing to be based in Germany (this requirement is flexible for truly outstanding candidates)
What we offer:
Malengo is a young organization, incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit in the United States, and as a gGmbH (non-profit LLC) in Germany. While most of the work will be done remotely, we strongly prefer a base in Germany. We offer the following benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with background and experience (EUR 70,000–EUR 85,000 p.a.)
- Healthcare benefits
- Retirement plan
- A choice between Unlimited PTO or 30 vacation days per year
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Anticipated start date: as soon as possible.
Click Here to apply >>Country Director, Germany